Are you looking for new windows for your house in Vancouver? If so, we bet it is pretty challenging. New units should look great, be energy efficient, provide excellent ventilation and complement the design of your residence. But with so many features to consider, the first step is to choose the right window style to bring you all the benefits down the road.
Our team has contacted Ecoline, Vancouver window replacement experts, to find out which styles are the most efficient and widespread among homeowners in the region. Moreover, we have also gathered some information regarding the pricing of different window styles to make it easier for you to decide what fits you best. Interested? Keep reading.
Casement windows are units that have the sash (or panel) attached to their frame by hinges that are installed on the side. This window style opens as hinged doors do. Casement windows are a common choice for many Vancouver homeowners due to numerous advantages:
- High energy efficiency
- Ease of clean
- Low maintenance
- Excellent ventilation
- Ease of operation
- High versatility
- Great security and hardware choice
Moreover, casements usually go with vinyl window frames. Vinyl is known for its durability, moisture resistance, and exceptional insulating properties.
Do you have a fantastic view outside? Want to contemplate it every day, but your old units mess everything up? Then it is time to consider replacing them with new sliding windows.
Sliding windows (also called sliders/gliders) have a simplistic design. They are made of two or more sashes within a single frame and roll horizontally from left to right or vice versa. Hence, homeowners can operate the windows effortlessly, even with one hand, opening or closing these units as much as it is needed.
Because they are wide, gliders are a perfect fit for large spaces. In addition, they will provide an unobstructed view and good ventilation, something other window styles lack because of their separate panes.
Moreover, thanks to a large glass area, sliding windows can significantly boost the daylight amount coming to your rooms. As a result, sliders are super popular among Vancouver homeowners and bring you everything you want from new windows.
A picture window is a big unit that is fixed, meaning that this window does not open up. Picture windows are here to provide homeowners with a clear and unobstructed view outside. While it does not offer ventilation, this style has many benefits to count:
- The unobstructed view outside is the first reason many Vancouver homeowners buy these units.
- Easier maintenance. Since these windows don’t have any moving parts, it is easy to clean and maintain them in their best conditions.
- Perfect insulation. These windows are super energy efficient. Since picture windows are fixed, the heat does not go out. At the same time, cold air cannot get inside. This helps to cut on energy bills and enjoy cold during summers and warm during winters.
- Excellent natural lighting. Picture windows offer a large area of glass so you can enjoy a lot of sunlight coming to your space, brightening up the rooms.
- No allergens. While these units allow sunlight in, they also keep out allergens. This is a great window pick for people who need to keep out bad air due to allergies.
Popular Window Styles: Pricing Comparison
Well, price is the first thing every homeowner looks at when shopping for new windows. And it is understandable. A penny saved is a penny earned. But in the case of windows, the cheapest units might give you more troubles than benefits. Overall, new windows can’t be cheap due to materials, labour force and other things being quite expensive. Treat getting new windows as making a long-term investment into your property. But enough talking – here is a table representing a typical price range for the window styles discussed above.
|Basement||$535 – $1,022||$394 – $1057||$315 – $1518|
|Bathroom||$446 – $1,032||$394 – $1033||$388 – $1242|
|Bedroom||$444 – $1193||$437 – $1521||$226 – $2324|
|Bonus room||$676 – $1134||$820 – $1248||$420 – $2305|
|Dining room||$550 – $1348||$669 – $1957||$316 – $2072|
|Family room||$605 – $1999||$490 – $1131||$354 – $2661|
|Foyer||$858 – $1999||$465 – $778||$338 – $1552|
|Front||$583 – $1014||$785 – $968||$359 – $2933|
|Garage||n\a||$391 – $1085||$334 – $1536|
|Kitchen||$329 – $1356||$394 – $1595||$202 – $2179|
|Living room||$484 – $1614||$433 – $2327||$226 – $2898|
|Master bedroom||$545 – $1304||$452 – $1810||$335 – $2370|
|Nook||$549 – $1149||$658 – $1142||$337 – $2440|
How to Find the Best Window Company?
Okay, so you have decided to replace your old units with new ones. You have selected the window style, frame and other add-ons. So what to do next? Of course, find a reliable window company to install your new units. And before we proceed, we should warn you – do not go DIY. Installing a new window requires a lot of experience and expertise, and if you have no needed skills, you may mess up the process and even damage your new windows. We highly recommend hiring professionals. But how do you know the company is trustworthy and reliable? Here is a checklist to go through before dealing with any window installer in Vancouver:
- Make sure the company follows CSA guidelines and your local building codes
- Check whether they offer you Energy Star and NAFS-11 tested units
- Clarify what the warranty covers
- Check online reviews and reputation
- Ask your friends and family for references
- Make sure you get the best quote